Newspaper Defends Muslim Terror Cartoon
July 29, 2011 by UPI - United Press International, Inc.
SYDNEY, Nova Scotia, July 29 (UPI) — The editor of a Canadian newspaper is refusing to apologize for an editorial cartoon showing two Muslim men commenting on last week’s Oslo terror attacks.
Tuesday, artist Sean Casey’s cartoon ran in The Cape Breton Post in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
It shows two bearded men in turbans and tunics sitting on a pile of skulls perusing a newspaper whose headline reads “Oslo Massacre,” Postmedia News reported.
The character on the left is captioned saying “Wow, they’re blowing themselves up,” to which the other replies, “Perfect …”
The newspaper’s managing editor, Tom Ayers, said complaints began coming in accusing the artist of racial and religious profiling of Muslims.
“It does not portray all Muslims as terrorists. It doesn’t portray all terrorists as Muslims,” Ayers said. “There are, in fact, Muslim terrorists, so how you could object to that, I don’t know.”
In Oslo, Anders Breivik has told police he had help in Friday’s bombing and shooting spree that killed 76 people, although investigators said that’s unlikely.