Shooting Of Chicago Robber Strengthens Pro-gun Lawsuit, Says Second Amendment Foundation
June 2, 2010 by Personal Liberty News Desk
Last week an 80-year-old Chicago man killed a home intruder, reigniting the debate on the merits of a landmark gun rights case that is about to be decided by the United States Supreme Court.
McDonald v. City of Chicago, brought by four Chicago residents, the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and the Illinois State Rifle Association, seeks to strike down a decades-old law that bans handguns and requires the annual taxation of firearms.
"We filed our lawsuit two years ago to protect the self-defense rights of Chicago citizens just like this man," said SAF executive vice president Alan Gottlieb.
"They have been unconscionably disarmed, and left in as much fear of being arrested and jailed for having a gun as they are afraid of being robbed and murdered by armed thugs who have ignored the gun ban," he stressed.
Meanwhile, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley said that he understood the frustration that led to the shooting—which is still under police investigation—but that in his view access to guns kills more people than it saves, according to Chicago Sun-Times.
"Criminals have more access to guns today than in the history of this country and that is frightening to America," he said, quoted by the news provider.
"We have to do something about it. You cannot have America as the Wild West," Daley added.