Holder: 9/11 Trials Could Still Take Place In NYC
May 10, 2010 by Special To Personal Liberty
Following last week’s attempted car bombing in Times Square by Pakistani-American Faisal Shahzad, Republicans are again calling on President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder to kill the administration’s proposal to try 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his co-conspirators in a civilian court in New York City.
"Trying Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in New York City was a bad idea last year. It’s a bad idea today," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), quoted by Fox News. "The only thing that’s changed is that the American people have just been reminded of how determined terrorists are to carry out their deadly plans."
McConnell and other GOP leaders have asked the president to rule out New York City as an option and instead try the suspects in a military court at Guantanamo Bay.
Holder indicated on Wednesday that downtown Manhattan is still being considered as a venue for the upcoming trial, and that the possibility of violence will exist at any location, Politico.com reports.
"Unfortunately, New York and Washington, D.C., remain targets of people who would do this nation harm," he said. "Regardless of where a particular trial is … that is going to remain true."