Archive for December, 2009
The consumption of green leafy vegetables and colored fruits can increase visual performance and may prevent age-related eye disease, according to a recent study.
On the heels of a surprisingly positive national unemployment report, where the jobless rate fell for the first time in months, the state of Nebraska has announced that it will be increasing the tax levied on businesses to help replenish the dwindling unemployment insurance fund, the Associated Press (AP) reports.
A recent court decision, which says New York state cannot use eminent domain on behalf of Columbia University to help it acquire land for construction, marks a significant setback for the school’s plans to expand on the Upper West Side.
Consuming pistachios every day may help reduce the risk of lung and other cancers, according to a new study.
As if Americans aren’t already taxed enough, the healthcare reform bill—or Obamacare bill—being discussed by the Senate contains dozens of new taxes and creates 111 new bureaucracies.
Among the new taxes:
- a 40 percent excise tax on health coverage in excess of $8,500 (individuals)/$23,000 (families).
- an additional half percent Medicare (Hospital Insurance) tax on wages in excess of $200,000 ($250,000 for joint filers) beginning in 2013.
- an annual fee on manufacturers and importers of branded drugs beginning in 2010.
- an annual fee on manufacturers and importers of certain medical devices beginning in 2010.
- a reduction by half (to $500,000) the amount of an executive’s compensation that a health plan can deduct from its corporate income taxes beginning in 2013 and a 5 percent excise tax on cosmetic surgery and similar procedures beginning in 2010. (source: Openmarket.org)
Liquid cleansing and fasting have been an integral part of natural medicine for more than 100 years. Thousands of people have discovered restored health through fasting. Read this article to learn all the benefits of liquid fasting…
First term Democratic congressman Parker Griffith of Alabama has said he will join the GOP effective immediately in a possible bid to increase his reelection chances in 2010.
The Senate’s version of the healthcare bill took a giant step toward passage after several deals were made with moderate Democratic Senators in exchange for key votes.
The U.N. climate conference in Copenhagen has ended with a nonbinding accord that some commentators see as a symbol of "a new world order."