Cheney Blasts Decision To Try 9/11 Suspects In Civilian Court
December 2, 2009 by Personal Liberty News Desk
Former Vice-President Dick Cheney heavily criticized the Obama administration and Attorney General Eric Holder last week over their handling of the five alleged 9/11 conspirators who are set to be tried in a civilian court in New York City, according to Newsmax.com.
Cheney referred to the decision to try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the self-confessed architect of the 9/11 attacks, in civilian court as a "big mistake" and accused the administration of treating the acts of terror as "law enforcement problems."
"We had 3,000 dead Americans that day," Cheney said in an interview with talk radio host Scott Hennen on WFZN. "That is not a law enforcement problem. That’s an act of war. And you need to treat it as an act of war," Cheney added, quoted by the news source.
Meanwhile, President Barack Obama has taken additional criticism for his strong defense of the decision to try the suspects in such a venue.
"I don’t think it will be offensive at all when he’s convicted and when the death penalty is applied to him," the president said in an interview with NBC, quoted by the Daily Telegraph.
Charles Stinton, a lawyer and former Pentagon official, believes that the president’s words could backfire and adversely affect the government’s case.
"The defense will file a pre-trial motion seeking to have the charges dismissed," Stinton told the news source. "It will say ‘what juror is not going to want to now fulfill the president’s and the attorney general’s desire?’"